Thursday 7 July 2011

Influencing fashion even to this day: Madame Grès

Exhibition: Bourdelle Museum in Paris till August 28, 2011

Madam Gres (1903-1993) originally wanted be a sculptor she found working with fabric was similar to stone. Her unique experience with stone and sculptures help her to create the first EVER draped dress; designed in 1934. Throughout the exhibition Madam Gres clothes are displayed in between sculptures which immediately show the similarities in the drapes of the sculpture stone and the dresses fabric. 



1965 Cocktail dress - Viscose Jersey

Fall/Winter 1952-1953
Evening gown - Viscose Jersey 

Spring/Summer 1946
Day dress - Wool jersey 

It so surprising when you think these dresses was made so long ago…they’re just old museum artefacts yet some could easily be worn today! The drapes give such movement and life to them and the brilliance of some of the colour (especially the orange dress) could walk straight out the museum and on to the red carpet. 









Please click to enlarge the photos, the details of these dresses are amazing you DON'T want to miss out! 

Info:

4 comments:

  1. THE PIECES TRULY ARE WORKS OF ART!! GREAT POST AND THANKS SO MUCH FOR STOPPING BY!!! I AM FOLLOWING YOU NOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these. I have to check out the exhibit when next in Paris. Thanks for sharing the photos and feel free to drop by me too,soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I like this post so much, really great dresses!
    If you want come and visit my blog, and if you like, follow me!

    http://cosamimetto.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this dresses
    I will follow you, you can follow me too ;)

    Kisses
    http://myfashionmirror.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment as I'm always pleased to hear your views